Recovery means something different to every person. Your recovery can be a process where you combine group therapy and individual therapy. Others may prefer unique treatment and yoga. Individualized recovery meets the needs of those who are navigating their way through the path to healing.
Beginning the recovery journey means seeking healthy ways to cope with conflicting emotions and unhealthy lifestyle choices. You aren’t alone on your passage to forgiveness and understanding. We all have life experiences we seek help in addressing. Whether we face alcohol or substance addiction, a mental health disorder, or preventative services, we took the first step in learning about who we are and why we behave in specific ways.
The process of healing from an illness or rebounding from a poor mental or physical state is recovering. The recovery process includes self-doubt, revelations, and adjusting to our responsibility in our past lifestyle choices. Be kind, be patient, and be willing to learn. Find what works for you and talk with your group or therapist about your preferences.
Recovery isn’t limited to a group or individual therapy. The commitment to healing our mind and body starts with recognizing we need help. Allowing ourselves to feel our emotions through treatment is essential to establish our pledge to self-discovery. Whatever the catalyst is for our road to health and understanding, we must realize we deserve to be kind to ourselves.
Ways to Heal
Accept your mental and physical state. Once we acknowledge where we are in our lives, we can assess what we need to accomplish to return to health. There’s no shame in admitting we have an alcohol or substance addiction problem. We can talk with others about our mental health without the fear of stigma. Conversations about our physical and mental health are necessary to move forward. If you find you can’t talk with those around you about your emotions or commitment to health, seek support from a group, a therapist, or those who love and support you. Explore what recovery means to you. How you envision recovery creates a foundation for you to build on in therapy and other activities. Discover what works by following these suggestions:
- Try something new. Explore different community activities such as group sports, dance lessons, or more. Committing to a weekly activity helps you maintain a schedule. Community activities also are a stress-free way to meet people with similar interests.
- Observe what makes you happy. We are prone to continue an activity if we enjoy how we feel. The purpose found in an enjoyable activity can unearth hidden emotions or strengths.
- Push boundaries. Take on new opportunities you usually wouldn’t. Be uncomfortable in a new yoga position, a new form of art, or group activity. Explore the beauty, adventure, and space around you.
Feed your body and mind with recognition, acceptance, and love. We can’t be healthy unless we learn to nourish ourselves through exercise, culture, beauty, and proper nutrition. Without bolstering our entire self, we lose the chance to grow. Our body requires an abundance of sustenance to accomplish our hopes, dreams, and goals. There are several different ways to feed your mind, body, and soul. A few methods are:
- Proper nutrition. Healthy eating is integral to healing the mind and body. Foods free from sugar, unhealthy fats, and fillers help regenerate cells and create new cells. Our body is continuously repairing, constructing, and sloughing off dead cells. We grow when we mentally and physically fill ourselves with healthy food. Learning how to identify healthy food, the proper amount of calories required each day, and cooking is essential.
- Exercise. Moving, playing, and connecting with your body builds a sense of self. When we feel how our bodies respond to positions in yoga, dance, or another form of exercise, we learn to listen to what our body is telling us it can achieve. Listen, don’t push, and give yourself a day of stillness. We don’t grow when we don’t rest. The saying “no pain, no gain” is harmful to our body and mind. Our goal in recovery is to find healthy ways to avoid pain. Use exercise to develop your listening skills and communicate with your body.
- Discover culture and beauty. Culture and beauty surround us. Culture exists in places such as a mural painted on a wall. Murals tell stories of the community; they express the beliefs of the people who created them. Musicians playing instruments or singing aren’t limited to concert halls and stages. Listen to the music nature provides. While walking down the street, pause to take in the sounds around you – expand your definition of music.
There are limitless ways to nourish our body and mind; we only need to be open to new experiences.
Integrative therapy or alternative therapy establishes our mind-body connection. When combined with group or individual treatment, it gives us comprehensive treatment. We all need someone unbiased and willing to help us find healthy coping techniques. Alcohol and substance addictions can occur with mental health disorders. When we learn about what motivates our destructive behavior, we will start to move forward.
While you are in therapy, discuss how genetics affects alcohol or substance addictions and mental health. Genetic testing is a useful tool in the recovery journey. Once we know how genetics can play a part in our addiction or mental health, we can work with our therapist in creating an individualized therapy program.
The road to recovery isn’t linear. Building a successful treatment plan requires an integrative group or individual therapy. Therapy sessions give us the freedom to discuss feelings of depression, anxiety, self-doubt, or cravings. Therapy helps us distinguish the difference between nature and nurture through genetic testing. Group therapy, nutrition counseling, and new experiences expand our boundaries and connect our minds with our bodies. Discover recovery while learning to love and understand yourself. We can push boundaries without pushing ourselves to the point of pain. Individualized treatment allows us the freedom to figure out our strengths and beauty. Yoga, meditation, art, dance, music, or group sports are essential in loving ourselves. Understanding the impact our genes have on our lives grants us the chance to forgive our past. Achieve Concierge provides genetic testing, integrative therapy, group, and individual therapy. We are available 24/7 to answer your questions. Contact us at (619) 393-5871.