ANXIETY TREATMENT IN SAN DIEGO
Achieve Concierge provides diverse and multimodal treatments for anxiety disorders. Our specialized mental health services are tailored to the patient’s needs, with a focus on healing the body, mind, and spirit. We engage each patient from multiple treatment perspectives, and as a result, we are one of the top anxiety treatment centers in San Diego, California.
WHAT IS ANXIETY?
Anxiety refers to the body’s response to stress. It is similar to worry, a natural emotion that causes feelings of fear or apprehension about things that may or may not be beyond a person’s control, but anxiety can be irrational and vague in comparison.
While feeling worried can be normal and even healthy, an anxiety disorder refers to extreme feelings of anxiety that persist for six months or longer. Often disproportionate to what’s happening, the symptoms of an anxiety disorder can be disruptive, debilitating and difficult to deal with, impacting a person’s ability to enjoy life or perform various everyday tasks. Some people with anxiety disorders may find it tough to go to work or school and avoid certain situations altogether. If left untreated, feelings of anxiety can worsen and lead to co-occurring disorders like depression or substance abuse.
Anxiety disorders are one of the most common mental illnesses in the United States, affecting approximately 40 million Americans age 18 or older, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA). However, the ADAA reports that only 37% of people dealing with anxiety disorders receive treatment. At Achieve Concierge, our goal is to change that by providing specialized, tailored mental health solutions to our patients in San Diego, California.
ANXIETY VS. WORRY
Most people feel fearful or worried from time to time, and this is completely normal. Worrying tells us when something might be wrong or that we need to be more careful in a particular situation. But these feelings usually have a specific cause, like needing to get to work on time, and are distinct from the symptoms of an anxiety disorder.
In contrast, anxiety disorders produce a persistent, disruptive and irrational sense of anxiety, fear and unease. People dealing with anxiety disorders may experience a wide range of symptoms that affect the body and the mind, including difficulty concentrating, restlessness, hyperventilation, and a rapid heart rate. Some people also have panic attacks, which are characterized by overwhelming fear or apprehension and physical symptoms such as sweating, shortness of breath, dizziness or dry mouth.
In many cases, individuals with an anxiety disorder can not pinpoint the source of their distress and may feel anxious regardless of the situation. This can interfere with normal functioning and severely impact their mental wellness. Unlike worry, which can be resolved by addressing the source of concern, anxiety isn’t as easy to fix. It often requires specialized treatment that helps patients cope with their symptoms and deal with negative emotions.
TYPES OF ANXIETY DISORDERS
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD): A chronic anxiety disorder that leads to excessive feelings of stress and worry about everyday life. The symptoms can be hard to deal with without treatment, but GAD typically responds well to therapy and medication.
- Panic disorder: A type of anxiety disorder that results in panic attacks. Because they can occur at any time, panic disorders are highly disruptive to normal functioning and interfere with daily life, but can be managed with treatment.
- Phobias: Refers to a persistent fear of a specific activity, object, or situation. Common phobias include claustrophobia (fear of small spaces), arachnophobia (fear of spiders), and acrophobia (fear of heights). Exposure to triggers can be immobilizing and prevent individuals from enjoying life to the fullest.
- Social anxiety disorder: An anxiety disorder that causes fear of judgment by others and may lead a person to avoid social situations. Social anxiety disorder can be very isolating and prevent individuals from going out, making friends, and participating in social events or gatherings.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: Causes irrational thoughts that lead to specific, repeated, and compulsive behaviors to prevent feelings of distress. Performing certain actions or behaviors provides temporary relief from symptoms of anxiety but can become disruptive to normal functioning.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): Refers to a type of anxiety that follows a highly distressing or traumatic event. Often associated with war, natural disasters or assault, symptoms include severe anxiety, depression, flashbacks and nightmares that can get worse over time. Comprehensive mental health treatment is often needed to help individuals cope with PTSD.
WHAT CAUSES ANXIETY DISORDERS?
There is no exact cause of anxiety, but some research shows that anxiety may be linked to a person’s genetics, brain chemistry, and environmental factors. To determine if a patient is dealing with anxiety, a doctor may perform a physical exam, along with mental health assessments and psychological surveys. Blood and urine tests may also be used to properly diagnose an anxiety disorder or rule out any underlying conditions.
THERAPIES FOR ANXIETY DISORDER
Anxiety often makes it difficult to function and undergoing tests to identify and treat an anxiety disorder may feel overwhelming. At Achieve Concierge, individuals can receive comprehensive anxiety treatment in a comfortable, and collaborative environment.
Our expert mental healthcare professionals utilize evidence-based treatment elements and personalized care to treat anxiety disorders. Anxiety disorders are best treated with a comprehensive approach tailored to an individual’s needs, so our clinicians may recommend a combination of psychotherapy, mindfulness techniques, lifestyle changes, medication, and other therapies for symptom relief and improved mental wellness. Some of our specific offerings include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)
- Neurofeedback therapy
Our approach delivers a highly therapeutic experience that meets our patients’ mental, physical and emotional health needs to help them discover the best way to manage their anxiety disorder. With our patient-focused and multimodal approach, Achieve Concierge is proud to present itself as a premier option to treat anxiety in San Diego.
If you believe that you or a loved one is experiencing anxiety disorder symptoms, meeting with our mental healthcare clinicians is key. This allows an individual to receive anxiety disorder testing and explore different therapy options for improved symptom management.
SCHEDULE AN ANXIETY THERAPY CONSULTATION AT ACHIEVE CONCIERGE TODAY
For those who are searching for therapy for anxiety in San Diego, Achieve Concierge is available to help. To learn more about our mental health treatments or schedule an anxiety therapy consultation, please contact us online or call us today at (619) 393-5871.